Apex Kiwanis Club History
The Kiwanis Club of Apex was chartered on May 25, 1989, under the principles of Kiwanis International to work for a better quality of life for the citizens of Apex, North Carolina, throughout our state, our Nation and international.
We believe that many benefits will accrue to you individually and to the community, as a result of your participation in club projects and activities.
Along with opportunities for constructive action come responsibilities to be assumed as a member. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.
Our Apex activities focus on children & youth.
The first clubs were organized to promote the exchange of business among the members. However the members were distributing Christmas baskets to the poor. A lively debate ensued between those who supported community service as the Kiwanis mission and those who supported the exchange of business. By 1919, the service advocates won the debate.
- Kiwanis was founded in Detroit, Michigan, on January 21, 1915.
- In the early years, Kiwanis clubs focused on business networking,but even then, members were serving the needs of the poor.
- By 1919, the organization had changed its focus from business to service.
- Kiwanis became an international organization in 1916 with the organization of the Kiwanis Club of Hamilton, Ontario.
- Kiwanis limited its membership to the United States and Canada until 1962 when worldwide expansion was approved.
- Until 1987, Kiwanis was a male-only organization. But after years of debate and growing support, women’s membership was received overwhelmingly.
Kiwanis is a global organization of volunteers dedicated to changing the world, one child and one community at a time.